Being someone who has self harmed in the past, I understand what it feels to just want to cut to feel something. I still have the urge to do it at times,but I’ve been trying to control myself because I know if I start again, I won’t be able to stop.
So recently, I came across something called the butterfly project. I don’t know if it will work, but I am giving it a shot. Here are the details –
1. When you feel like you want to cut, take a marker or pen and draw a butterfly wherever the self-harm occurs.
2. Name the butterfly after a loved one, or someone that really wants you to get better.
3. NO scrubbing the butterfly off.
4. If you cut before the butterfly is gone, it dies. If you don’t cut, it lives.
5. Another person may draw them on you. these butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
6. Even if you don’t cut, feel free to draw a butterfly anyways, to show your support.
Some time consuming alternatives to divert your mind from self harm could be the following (I don’t know if any of them will help but I think they’re worth trying at least once, to figure out what works for you) –
1. Snap a rubber band around your wrist.
2. Exercise, running ect.
3. Putting on fake tattoos
4. Drawing on yourself in red marker (make sure it’s washable! )
5. Scribbling on sheets an sheets of paper
6. Writing (poetry, stories, journal, etc.)
7. Cuddling with a stuffed toy
8. Being with other people
9. Watching a favorite TV show
10. Painting your nails
11. Going to see a movie
12. Eating something ridiculously sweet (or any favorite food)
13. Doing school work
14. Surf the net
15. Go for a walk
16. Letting yourself cry (can be very difficult for some)
17. Reading a good book
18. Punching a punching bad (with gloves on)
19. Colouring your hair
20. Re-organizing your room
21. Make a tape of your favorite songs
22. Go to a loud concert
23. Go to a public place and people watch
24. Make a tape of your favorite songs
I know how it feels to want to hurt yourself physically to numb out the emotional/mental pain. I know how it feels to cut so you don’t feel so numb anymore. But please don’t cut lovelies. Your life is important and I love you. Please don’t hurt yourself. I know you feel like you’re good enough, like no one loves you, but please believe that things do get better.
I am the biggest hypocrite writing all of these things, but I am trying to not cut and I am trying not to feel like crap all the time. Things will get better, please don’t lose hope.