You know how a certain song can make you feel a certain way. How sometimes you just connect certain memories to certain songs and every time you hear those songs the memories come flooding back. The song brings back the emotions you felt at that moment and the pain or the joy, the guilt or the pride or whatever it is that you were feeling, feels very real again. It can bring fresh tears to your eyes or make you happy even when you are at your lowest.
Music is what helps me survive. It’s what helps me when I feel like I have lost all sense of direction. So here is my list of some of the songs that have very special memories attached to them.
1. Hannah Montana theme song – best of both worlds – This song instantly reminds me of my childhood. When I was a kid I used to obsess over this show like crazy and whenever this song would play I would sing it at the top of my voice!
2. Waka Waka by Shakira – I was baking with this friend of mine who was my first girl crush and she introduced me to this song. This was the first time we properly hung out and this song kind of became a “thing” for us. I don’t really know why but it was special. And so whenever I hear it, it always reminds me of her.
3. True friends and party in the USA by Miley Cyrus- yeah, I know that both these songs are cheesy as fuck but my best friend and I used to love these and we used to sit on the swings in the park and sing them so loudly. These were are favorite songs and so these songs take me back to those amazing summer evenings with her.
4. Amake Amar moto thakte dao by Anupam roy – This is a Bengali song ( Bengali is my mother tongue). Its the first Bengali song I ever heard and this is song that got me into Bengali music. My sister and I used to sing it together pretending that we were really famous singers.
5. Teardrops on my Guitar and love story by Taylor swift – These were the songs that i used to listen to while thinking of one of my old crushes. It was so stupid!
6. Never good enough by Rachel Ferguson and when she cries by Britt Nicole – These are the songs I used to listen to when I was going through a really bad time. I used to listen to these and cry. Even today, if I listen to them, they brings back the pain I felt then.
7. Paloma Blanca, Summer Holiday and Jamaica Farewell – These are the songs that I used to sing with my mom in the car whenever we went somewhere. We would put down the windows and sing really loudly and pretend that we were in a movie or something!
8. Halo by Beyonce – My sister and I usually always sing this song on the way to or way back from school. I will always remember those two hours of travel where we just sing random songs this one being one of our favorites.
9. Sweater weather, Wonderwall, Me and my broken heart and a few others – I will never forget singing these songs on school camps (2014) and how much fun I had there.
10. This weird Hindi and Punjabi mixed song i don’t know the name of – Yaa, I don’t know the name of this song but in the 7th grade camps this was the only song we heard for 5 days and that too on my crush’s iPod and it always always reminds me of him and his stupidity and the camps of course.
11. Fix you by Coldplay – I will never forget this song because it played on prom and all the couples were dancing and my crush was dancing with her date and it was so heartbreaking. I felt horrible! Both about the fact that she was dancing with someone else and not me and about the fact that I had no one to dance with.
okay, I think I have exposed myself enough for now, huh?
I would to know your favorite songs and memories so don’t hesitate to comment!